By Agella Kevas
We just celebrated Thanksgiving, maybe with lots of meaningful moments with family or close friends. In thinking about it, we all probably have a lot to be thankful for. With an unemployment rate of 4.9 percent, there are a lot of people who are employed. Even if your job is not perfect, being employed gives us many reasons to be grateful. Here are just a few:
- Income – Your job allows you to bring home money that helps you put food on the table, a roof over your head and pay your bills.
- Social Interaction –Your job allows you to be able to interact with people, and if you are lucky enough to enjoy the company of your co-workers, it may even contribute to your social life. Happy hour anyone?!
- Skill Development – Here is a great way to sharpen your skills for free. Your employer provides you with paid, on-the-job training.
- Benefits (insurance, vacation, time off, telecommuting, etc.) – Your job offers certain perks that enable you to take care of yourself and your family.
- Resume Builder – Everyone knows it is easier to get a new job when you already have one. Your current position helps to make you more employable in the future.
So, during this holiday season, being thankful for good health, loving friends and family is only a start. Also think about being appreciative for your job, great coworkers and, of course, your paycheck.
Now, go out and find ways to express your gratitude!
By Agella Kevas, Senior Manager, JCS Career Center
The JCS Career Center offers comprehensive employment assistance that helps job seekers of all abilities and skill levels find and maintain employment. Services include career coaching, career assessments, resume and cover letter services, interview preparation, job readiness training, vocational rehabilitation and job placement assistance.